Your Journey with us began the moment you made the choice to seek a career with Banner Health. Whether you are just beginning your career or your Journey has spanned 30 years, Banner's employer commitment is: "We'll help make a difference in your life and career so you can make a difference in the lives of others."
The HIMS Department is responsible for the maintenance and preservation of confidential health records. HIMS analyzes medical records for quantitative and qualitative completion based on the facility's medical staff rules and regulations, company policy, and state, federal and other regulatory agency requirements. This department performs a variety of HIMS work, such as record completion, document imaging, release of information, and providing services and information to physicians and staff. This is an Associate Director role with 15 direct reports.
Join a team passionate about supporting our patient care counter parts by ensuring medical records are available to them quickly. This team is looking for superstars that want to join a team full of positivity and customer obsession. You will be supporting Banner University Medical Center Tucson, Banner University Medical Center South, and the North Campus, with the primary location being onsite at BUMCT . The typical schedule is Monday through Friday 8am - 4:30pm . An ideal candidate would possess a Degree in Health Information Management/Technology and hold a Registered Health Information Technology (RHIT) or Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) credential, or be eligible to sit for the credential.
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
Within Banner Health Corporate, you will have the opportunity to apply your unique experience and expertise in support of a nationally-recognized healthcare leader. We offer stimulating and rewarding careers in a wide array of disciplines. Whether your background is in Human Resources, Finance, Information Technology, Legal, Managed Care Programs or Public Relations, you'll find many options for contributing to our award-winning patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for leading, planning, organizing, controlling, monitoring and measuring operational activities for Health Information Management. This may be in a single facility, multiple facilities across the system, or specific functions for multiple facilities such as deficiency management and record completion, document imaging (scanning and processing), coding support, facility-based release of information, or support of centralized services related to release of information, forms management, policy and procedure development, integrity of the medical record, and/or management of enterprise master patient index. The Sr. Manager is responsible for the achievement of the business unit(s) goals for all key performance indicators, including data analysis and development of action plans when goals are not met. Key performance indicators may include but are not limited to, unbilled accounts receivable, designated quality outcomes in coding, transcription services, health records and electronic health record system usage and maintenance, release of information, regulatory compliance, and HIPAA compliance. The position is responsible for successfully managing the operational and administrative activities of Health Information Management Services (HIMS), including hiring of HIMS staff, goal setting, competency measurement and monitoring, action planning, and corrective action. Ensures compliance with retention of medical records by working with Records Program Manager.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Conducts Planning. Manages the operational units within the HIMS Department to include scheduling of staff and monitoring and assignment of workload, monitoring the productivity and quality of work performed by staff and reviewing each with individual staff and developing action plans for performance improvement as needed. Assists each employee with development of goals, reviewing goal progress and performing annual assessment with each employee. Responsible for hiring of staff, coordinating training and education, and providing leadership and mentorship to staff to build and improve skills in order to progress in career.
2. Manages Information Systems and Informatics. Creates innovative ideas by evaluating the effectiveness of existing and potential computer applications. May participate as a member of facility, ambulatory, and/or the system HIMS leadership teams to conduct strategic planning. Works with information technology internal staff and vendors to manage information systems, database applications, and reporting functions. Acts as a subject matter expert for electronic medical records functional usage and records requirements. Monitors the compliance of physicians and clinical staff with electronic medical records and health information management system required processes. Continually builds and maintains a complete understanding of applicable electronic applications as they relate to hospital billing and HIMS functions that result in efficient and effective processes and produce desirable outcomes such as reduced unbilled accounts receivable.
3. Manages policies and procedures. Formulates and ensures implementation of Health Information Management policies and procedures that create compliance with federal, state and local regulatory guidelines and minimize risk regarding the company's assets and interests. Provides policy and procedural updates and education for facility staff. Assists with the investigation, follow up, documentation and reporting of HIPAA events and Requests to Amend Medical Records in conjunction with Banner Health policies and procedures.
4. Provides financial support. Analyzes coding processes and results to ensure medical record documentation is complete so that accounts can be coded and billed; works with providers and leaders to develop and manage work processes that expedite the speed and correctness of proper documentation. Responsible for the adherence to annual departmental budgets. Monitors and analyzes the department schedule to insure appropriate staffing levels at all times, while remaining within budget guidelines. May prepare business plan(s) for capital requests for major expenditures.
5. Ensures compliance with Health Information requirements mandated by The Joint Commission; Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services; federal and state laws and regulations; medical staff bylaws, rules and regulations; and regional and local policies and procedures. Collaborates with various departments including but not limited to Regulatory Compliance, Privacy and Security, Medical Staff, Clinical Informatics, facility (acute and ambulatory) leadership, IT, HIMS Coding, Human Resources, Administration, Providers, and finance. HIMS Sr. Manager is responsible for the oversight of the integrity of medical record documentation, data analysis, and reporting of the data.
6. This position may serve as Custodian of Medical Records. Gives depositions and represents the company in court proceedings as required by subpoenas and court orders. Works with Risk Management and Legal Counsel to provide timely response in litigated matters, and to ensure adherence to judicial proceedings (i.e.: subpoenas, depositions, court orders, search warrants).
7. Uses specialized knowledge and skills to provide leadership of the health information management functions for acute and/or ambulatory medical facility(ies). Works under the leadership of a more senior HIMS director of a larger facility or region. Responsible for achieving business results in staff engagement, unbilled accounts receivable days, budgeted staffing, patient data base accuracy, delinquent medical records below required regulatory goals, hospital transcription turnaround, and electronic and paper-based health records keeping. Leads, participates in and/or establishes facility and system process improvement teams or work groups. The internal customers include medical staff, physicians, all hospital/ambulatory departments, central billing staff, information technology patient relations teams, members of leadership to ensure organizational interests and assets are protected. The external customers include patients, members of the medical staff, general public, regulatory agencies and attorneys.
Must possess a strong knowledge of business and/or healthcare as normally obtained through the completion of an Associate's degree in business, healthcare administration, or related field. (Candidates currently enrolled in an Associate's degree program may be accepted). Must have completed the educational requirements toward accreditation with the American Health Information Management Association.
Must possess five plus years of relevant experience in HIMS, plus highly developed leadership skills, interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively in a matrix model. Must possess a thorough knowledge of the Electronic Health Record (EHR) and associated computer applications and their applicability to the healthcare environment.
Bachelor's degree is preferred. Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) certification in an active status with American Health Information Management Association is strongly preferred. Prior leadership experience as a Senior Manager preferred.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.